The Upper Mustang Trek is the ultimate gateway to the mysterious world of the old Buddhist kingdom of Mustang, also called Lo. Dalai Lama says that “If any Tibetan culture is alive in this world it is in Upper Mustang of Nepal “. Of course, Mustang valley is rich in Tibetan culture and landscape. In the ancient period it was a salt trading route between Tibetan and India. Lower Mustang’s Thakali people were the best merchants at that time.
This valley was disconnected from main stream of the country before 1947. When Dalai Lama left Tibet, some of his supporters entered in this valley and try to capture the territory for some years, After that Government of Nepal kept high interest here for the security matter. Similarly Upper Mustang was also considered a separate kingdom inside Nepal and king Jigme was representing of this cultural value even though it was not politically.
Mustang was only opened to the trekkers in 1991. The department of immigration issues only a small number of permits to protect local traditions from outsiders influence as well as protect the environment. Recently Government of Nepal has reduced the fees of the trekkers to encourage the trekkers in this region.
- Upper Mustang, The Place which houses are with the traces.
- Tibetan Buddhist Cultures, Oldest Monasteries, Arts, Gompas.
- Amazing Landscapes and the Himalayas.
Ancient Tibetan Buddhism, Chortens.
- World Heritage site visit in Kathmandu.
- Beautiful Pokhara valley with the Mountains and Lakes.
By flight (30 minutes) or by buses (7 hours).
Fly to Jomsom early in the morning and walk to Kagbeni (2900m). The trail goes plain except the minor up and downs. Camp at Kagbeni. Walking duration 3 hrs.
Kagbeni is the entry and exit point of Mustang area. The trail goes up to Tangbe (3100m) along the Kali Gandaki River. From Tangbe the trail goes slightly down to Chhuksang (3050m) through the wheat and barley fields. After walking 3to4 hrs from Kagbeni stop for lunch at Chhuksang, after lunch the trail goes up to Ttochaile (3200m). The old habitant of LAMAS. Walking hour about 2 hrs.
Trail goes steeply up with cliff road to Samar (3700m) 3.30 hrs walk, and slightly goes down to Vena and again goes up to Yamdo, after lunch at Yamdo the trail goes to Gilling after passing the 3800 meter high Nyala pass. Camp at Gilling (3510m) 3 hrs from Samar.
After breakfast, start walking slightly step up through the Tamagaun village and Chyank (4050m). This is the best place to see the good view of Mustang, Annapurna and Nilgiri range as well. After the pass trail ascent to Ghemi (3520m) lunch brake at Ghemi, after 3to3.5 hrs walking. After lunch the trail goes slightly up to Dhakmar (3750m) walking duration from Ghemi is 2 hrs and camp at Dhakmar.
Trail follows slightly up in the beginning and goes down to Ghar Gumpa (Loto Gekar), very famous and one of the richest monastery (from 3to5 century). Monastery stands alone in the quite place. After walking about 3 hrs stop for lunch here, after lunch trail follows the Tsarang river, finally reach at Tsarang (3650m) & camp.
The trail slightly goes down and again climbs up to Lotomanthang (3760m), walking duration about 4 hrs. Lotomanthang is the capital of the former Mustang kingdom, after lunch we can visit around the Lotomanthang village, Royal palace, and monasteries as well splendid view of Lotomanthang and Trinkar as well.
The upper part of Mustang. Go early morning with packed lunch and back to Lotomanthang and camp, it is possible only by horse.
On the way to back from Lotomanthang, trail goes down to Dri after walking about 4 hrs. Lunch at Dri, after lunch crossing Mustang khola and climb slightly up about 2 hour to Yara.
With a packed lunch after breakfast will go to Luri Gompa, one of the famous monastery and back to the camp. Total duration of walking is 5 hrs.
The trail slightly goes down along the Kaligandaki river stop for lunch on the way and camp at Kagbeni.Takes you the simple trail. After walking about 3 hours arrive to Jomsom and over night at Jomsom.
Early in morning fly to Pokhara, transfer to hotel and rest.
Fly or drive back to Kathmandu .
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara with breakfast.
- Tea house accommodation during the trek (breakfast, lunch and dinner & tea coffee)
- Welcome and dinners.
- Entrance fees for
- sightseeing/monument visits as per the itinerary.
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trekking guide.
- Porter service insurance, equipment, domestic.
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits & apical permit upper mustang
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
- Nepalese visa fee
- Excess baggage charge(s)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara (and also in the case of early return from the mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- International flights & Domistik
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, internet, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, shower, etc.)